Dana's Show

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Oh How Naive I am...

So as most of you know, I finally landed a relatively long-term construction job for the rest of the summer. All in all I will work on this job for five weeks. It is unbelievably convenient because the job site is only a mile away from my house and Logan was on the same job as me. I wake up at about 6:15 and get down stairs in time to eat the breakfast Logan makes. Then Logan usually packs the lunch for the two of us except for the sandwich.
There are a few special characters that i get to interact with on this job: Stacey (the foreman, yes a man), Candy (the TCS...my supervisor), Jeno (the back-ho driver), and my fellow flaggers Jody and Dan. Candy tells me where I am supposed to stand, and usually she puts me on a side street with very little traffic. Needless to say it is very boring. I generally sing songs to myself and the surrounding "mud crew" (aka cement crew), but seeing how I have a difficulty remembering words I end up humming...
There are four flaggers on this job that only needs two, so me and Logan are almost always the ones that get put on the streets that don't need it. Which is fine by me because then I don't have to pay attention. One day I was assigned the "rock pile" (aka pile of gravel). Pretty much
I stood there with my paddle upside down and would put it up when Jeno came by...which happened three times the whole time I was there. Stacey walked by and told me to come with him so that I looked like I was doing something. That mindset seems to be very much a part of this kinda sketchy company. It doesn't matter if you are actually doing something, but if you look like you are doing something then you are perfectly fine. So Stacey told me to hold his "funny plans." and walk with him while he marked out where the flower beds where supposed to be in the sidewalk. Everytime we made a stop to make marks, he would say "Give me the funny plans." I kept trying to figure out why the plans were so funny, and then it hit me. These construction worked swear all the time. Stacey especially swears in every single sentence although he isn't mad at all. So I guess he actually didn't think those plans were funny...

1 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

What an outstanding narrative!!

August 26, 2008 at 11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home